In this podcast episode, my wife and I discuss something known as a repair attempt. It’s a term coined by John Gottman. He is a psychologist who has done 40 years of research on relationships and marital stability and divorce prediction. This repair attempt thing relates to the way a couple tries to reconnect after a fight. If you want to get the most out of this episode, here is one way you can do it:
- Get in a good fight with your partner.
- Listen to this Neurotic Tornado repair attempt episode.
- Watch the Gottman video I reference in the podcast. Read up a little bit more on repair attempts.
- Try to make a repair attempt with your partner.
- When the repair attempt fails, just watch some sketch comedy as my wife and I did after our fight: Mr. Show; Key & Peele.
- Tell someone something cool you learned today.