Welcome to The Creative Turn: an audio & video series where I talk to creative people about shifts in their creative lives. Sometimes the conversation focuses on the “it’s working!” part, sometimes the conversation dwells on the “shit ain’t working” part, but usually it bathes in the world between.
More About the Series
There are two aspects to this series:
- an audio conversation (about an hour each episode)
- an animated video (less than five minutes each)
The audio portion is more of a straight-up conversation with someone interesting. The video can be just about anything inspired by the conversation. Sometimes, I’ll use excerpts swiped directly from the conversation. Other times, I’ll go off on tangents that were sparked by the conversation. Usually, it’ll be a mix of both.
I intend to post a new audio conversation every month, with the video getting posted about two weeks later. (I used that word ‘intend’ in there because I expect the schedule will get screwy occasionally. Some rounds, I may post the audio late; some rounds, I may fail to post a video at all. Basically, I want to account for my general capacity to fail somehow.)
Oh. By the way. The audio portion is available as a podcast (if you’re into that kind of thing).
How to Follow
All released episodes are listed below. You can keep up to date with new episodes (both audio and video) by subscribing to my blog, either by email or RSS. You can also follow @thecreativeturn Twitter account, where I’ll tweet about each new episode.
Although you can listen to the audio directly from my site, the easiest way to listen to the audio portion is as a podcast (see my introduction to podcasts and podcatchers if you need a crash course on podcasts). You can subscribe to my audio podcast by searching for “The Creative Turn”, or by using one of the links below:
- Click here to view the podcast via iTunes
- Copy this podcast feed URL to subscribe with another podcatcher
- 006: Yuvi Zalkow ☟
- Audio: This Turn It’s the Turn’s Turn [9m]
- 005: Harold Johnson ☟
- Audio: Before I was an African-American artist [66m]
- 004: Kate Maruyama ☟
- Video: The index card treatment [3.5m]
- Audio: The podcast based on the book based on the movie [55m]
- 003: Kristen Forbes ☟
- Video: From start to end [5m]
- Audio: Writing in the raw [61m]
- 002: Scott Sparling ☟
- Video: From head to heart [6m]
- Audio: The second big thing [59m]
- 001: Telaina Eriksen ☟
- Video: Marinating with Joan Didion [4m]
- Audio: The depressing episode [49m]
- 000: Michael Schechter ☟
- Video: Introduction to The Creative Turn Video [3m]
- Audio: Introduction to The Creative Turn Audio [13m]