I’m a Failed Writer (& Other Writing Vids)
This is my (nearly) famous video series where I talk through my occasional writing insights and my many failures. Check out the Failed Writer page for a thumbnail view of all the videos. Or just click on a video below.
- Episode #16: Stand-up Comedians
- Episode #15: Taking Risks
- Episode #14: Project Mismanagement
- Episode #13: Beyond Microsoft Word… Or Not
- Episode #12: Networking for the Cowardly and Terrified
- Episode #11: 10,000 Hours
- Episode #10: A Shitload of Lists
- Episode #09: Non-crappy Writing Groups
- Episode #08: Fresh Ways to Look at Your Crappy Writing
- Episode #07: Failing as a Failed Failure
- Episode #06: Obsession x Voice
- Episode #05: Writing in the Cold
- Episode #04: Literary Agents & Marketing
- Episode #03: The Bucket Writing Method
- Episode #02: Time Management
- Episode #01: Revisions
- Writing a Novel (when you’re too busy to write a novel)
- From Poop to Glimmer (about my process of submitting my work to literary magazines – before having kids!)
The Creative Turn
A defunct series where I talked to some of my favorite writer friends about transitions in their creative lives. Here are the videos related to that series:
- The index card treatment with Kate Maruyama [3.5m]
- From start to end with Kristen Forbes [5m]
- From head to heart with Scott Sparling [6m]
- Marinating with Joan Didion and Telaina Eriksen [4m]
Check out The Creative Turn home page for information about audio conversations related to these videos.
The Scribbling Bucket Videos
A short-lived video series where I talked (and scribbled) about anything I wanted.
- Episode #5: Too Hip for the Room (with George Carlin)
- Episode #4: Time-Based Sex
- Episode #3: The Failure of the Intended Story (with Thaisa Frank)
- Episode #2: Ponies Are Magic
- Episode #1: Obsessing (with Elizabeth McCracken)
- Episode #0: Hello. Sorry.
A Brilliant Novel in the Works Videos
Here are some videos about my book (A BRILLIANT NOVEL IN THE WORKS):
Here are some of my sillier videos:
Here are some of my more overt how-to videos:
And if you’re thinking, “To hell with your organizational techniques! Just show me all the damn videos in reverse chronological order!” Well, that’s okay too.
Good luck. You’ll need it.